EmpireMUD is free, will always be free, and none of us make any money off of it. So when the page says “jobs”, what we really mean is “volunteers”. Of course, if you come to Tucson, I’d be happy to buy you some tacos in exchange for your help. Basically, we’re looking for players who have some free time, want to contribute, and have some useful abilities. I know a lot of these list English skills as a pre-requisite. I don’t want to discourage or turn away international players who are interested (and plenty of native English speakers ain’t write so good), and we aren’t asking for people with a degree in English. It’s just important that game content be readable and well-formed.
Content Builder: Craftables and Food
We are always looking for people to help flesh out the list of craftable items, including foods, by designing new items and craft recipes. The following qualifications are required:
- Good English writing skills.
- Familiarity with the game, its resources, and its crafting system.
Content Builder: Adventures
The instanced adventure system is fairly new, and we need more adventures of all shapes and sizes, from small 1-room encounters to big, deep, complex dungeons. Our scaling system means that most of the work involves the design and writing, and you almost never have to set numbers for things like damage or attributes. The following skills are required:
- Good English writing skills.
- Familiarity with the game’s theme.
- Bonus skill: Desire to learn DG Scripts scripting language to make more complex adventures.
You may have noticed we have a very sparse WordPress site here. If you have some experience with WordPress themes, or even if you’d just like to make some graphics or a better background image, let us know. The following abilities are required:
- HTML and CSS
We post to Facebook occasionally, but it would help promote the game to have someone who is more active and has time to write posts for us more often, even about little stuff, as well as to interact with and engage players on various social media platforms. We are interested in expanding to Twitter, as well as other popular social media platforms. This position has the following requirements:
- Good English language skills.
- Ability to post daily on one or more social media site.
- Ability to self-censor what you post to avoid offending people or driving away players.
- Ability to engage with players on multiple platforms.
Advertising and Recruiting
In order to build a larger playerbase, we need someone who can regularly update our listings on multiple mud sites as well as post to forums to draw people into the game. We have had reasonable success with the ads players post on their own, but we need someone who can more accurately represent EmpireMUD and who can maintain these listings. The following skills are required:
- Good English skills, text organization, and ability to summarize.
- Free time to visit various mud listings, forums, and similar.
- Familiarity with the game’s rules, theme, and features.
- Ability to self-censor what you post to avoid controversy.
Not currently seeking (but may at some point):
- Moderators – The player base is low enough right now that we don’t require any additional moderators.
- Programmers – At least during alpha, we aren’t interested in additional programming work unless you want to build new web tools like an ability purchase planner, in which case I would be happy to supply the input data.