EmpireMUD 2.0 alpha Change Log
August 31, 2013
- You can now get an extra skill at level 75 if you keep two skills at 0. HELP SKILL CAPS has more information.
- Updated High Sorcery, Natural Magic, Stealth, and Vampire so that you can no longer acquire the first point for them if you have too many specialized skills.
- Raised the skill requirement on Tunnel to 80.
- Fixed a bug where the craft time on pottery was not being reduced by the Potter’s Hut.
- Updated some help files.
August 30, 2013
- Added “Tunnel” ability to empire.
- Added a new tunnel command for laying out tunnels. Tunnels are now laid out all-at-once and each interior tile must be completed in order to get through the tunnel. Half the tunnel is “owned” by each entrance, so you must abandon both ends if you no longer want it. The same applies to dismantle. Tunnels now have “chameleon” and the entrance cannot be seen from a distance.
- All old tunnels have been removed. The old tunnels are not compatible with the new system.
- Fixed a bug in building completion that prevented tunnel interiors from being completed.
- Moved logic related to what terrain you can build on to a new function and cleaned it up a bit in order to be able to use this function for other commands.
August 29, 2013
- Changed “glassworker” to “glassblower” in the building command.
- Updated several help files.
- Fixed an issue where your mount can de-spawn if you lose your connection.
August 28, 2013
- You can no longer build on seeded land as if it were field.
- Overhauled the code that shows you character creation archetypes, and added a help system to this menu so players can get more details.
- Changed the color on the time codes for the prompt.
- Removed the “noclear” toggle entirely. Clear-screen signals will no longer be sent for looking at the map or reading the motd.
- Changed (L) back to (large) on items.
- Added “scrolling or paging” to the character creation questions.
- Fixed a bug in the weaving workforce chore that was preventing weavers from spawning.
- Roads, bridges, and mountain paths no longer count against your outside-of-city territory limit.
August 27, 2013
- Skill list will now show “max” instead of “gaining” on skills at 50 and 75.
- Added new fine pottery off-hand items.
August 26, 2013
- Fixed a bug in BGH where it couldn’t target NPCs.
- Added the account system.
- New players are now prompted to link their account during character creation, if they already have a character.
- Empires now only count each account as 1 member and use only the highest Greatness rating on the account, if a player has multiple alts in the same empire.
- Updated the motd, policy, and web page to indicate that players must link up their existing alts, and that alts are now allowed in empires.
- Updated the long description and keywords on the flint set, to remove the word “stones”.
August 25, 2013
- Wrote the first parts of an account system including: set account, show account, multiplaying detector for same-account.
- Updated several empire commands which previously attempted to adjust member count and greatness, as they won’t apply the same when accounts allow multiple characters in the same empire (coming soon).
August 24, 2013
- Fixed crash bug caused by the “build” command trying to auto-herd a familiar out of the room.
- Implemented skill caps. You will be prompted to lower some of your skills when you log in the first time after this change.
- Added the “specialize” command, which is now the only way to gain skill past 50 or 75, and requires that you have a skill level available there.
- Classes are now computed based on your two skills that are specialized to 100. These are considered your “class skills”. Class is displayed on “whois”.
- Daily skill points now count down, instead of up (15 skill points available, instead of 10/15 gained today).
- Players now receive 15 daily skill points only for the first 150 total skill points (8 days of game play at 15 per day, plus 30 starting skill points). After that, you receive 10 per day.
- Rearranged Battle.
- Removed Dragon Hide entirely.
- Added Cloth Armor ability, which is now required to use cloth armor.
- Rearranged Stealth.
- Rearranged Vampire.
- Renamed “Undead Fortitude” to “Blood Fortitude” to match the blood branch.
- Mistform no longer has the ability to fly.
- Leather boots no longer count as leather armor… Not really sure why I did that in the first place.
August 22, 2013
- Removed the 100-item limit on efind, as this isn’t really required with the stacking display.
- Added bricks to the Basic Crafts help, and vice versa.
- Animals on ships will no longer de-spawn.
- Updated skin/leather help files to indicate tanning better.
- Created a struct for data on item material types and added a “floats” property. Replaced the floating/sinking checks in limits.c to use this.
- Added a custom long description for objects which are in the water, as their normal descriptions don’t really fit. The long description now indicates if the item is floating or sinking.
- Added the “recipes” command, which lets you see what you know how to make using an item from your inventory.
August 21, 2013
- Updated the commands list on the Kitchen.
- Added the take/wield/hold flags to the wooden sword, which was missing them.
- Fixed the unusually long lag time after soulsight.
- Lowered the level on Track to 50.
- You can no longer move if your mount is tied, tied up, staked, entangled, stunned, fighting, or not standing.
August 18, 2013
- Rearranged Natural Magic.
August 17, 2013
- Removed the MAPPC toggle; this option is now always on.
- Rearranged High Sorcery a little.
August 16, 2013
- Rearranged the abilities in Trade.
- Renamed “Master Woodworking” to “Siegeworks”, as it is not a “master” ability in the same way as the others.
- Updated the Forge help file.
- Added ability stubs for Fine Pottery, Master Pottery.
- Moved some items from Pottery to Fine Pottery. Changed pottery recipe costs.
- Added Master Farmer, which increases what you get from harvest, mill, and shear.
August 15, 2013
- Implemented Locksmithing: infiltrators without Improved Infiltrate will find it much harder to enter your buildings.
- The immortal statskill command now shows points gained today.
- Added an ability point at 75.
- Abilities now level you up to 50 if they require less than 50 to purchase, up to 75 if 50-74, and up to 100 they require 75+ to purchase. You can still only level up 10 times per ability.
- Rearranged abilities in Survival and Empire.
- Reformatted the abilities display.
- Updated the definition of “mage” to include NPCs with mana pools. This expands the targets of Big Game Hunter.
August 14, 2013
- Fixed typo when items auto-drop upon being unequipped.
- Changed “baker” to “bakery” in the build command structure.
- Added “chop” to the commands list for orchards.
- Various help file updates.
August 13, 2013
- Updated the info command.
- Changed the “sheath” command and all related strings to “sheathe”, as this is a better verb form, and the original version still works as an abbreviation.
- Changed the opossum’s long description so it no longer appears to be a corpse, as this is one of the most frequently-reported bugs and I’m told it’s too confusing.
- Lighting lumber now turns it into a fire, just like trees.
- Fixed a bug in bridges where they could not be dismantled. (I thought I fixed this over a month ago, but it looks like my fix only worked for redit-completed buildings, not for ones built by players, so… I tested that wrong.)
- Repaired existing bridges.
- Fixed the mail system.
- Added the Pigeon Post building (Artisans), which is required to send mail. Also updated the mail messages to be pigeon-themed. You can still check and receive mail anywhere.
- Added wool item, which can be woven into cloth.
- Added shear command, which works on sheep in the stable, as a mob interaction.
- Added help files for shear and milk.
- Corrected spelling of “sheering” in the stable.
August 12, 2013
- Added the Smokehouse building and the Larder room, both of which are used for storing different foods.
August 11, 2013
- Clarified the message it gives you when you try to smelt something unsmeltable.
- Some remove-item actions will now allow you to remove if your inventory is full, but you will end up dropping the item. It will notify you if this happens.
- Added the saddle wear slot, which auto-equips itself with the best saddle from your inventory. You require a saddle in order to ride.
- Added two new saddles to Basic Crafts and Leatherworking.
- Added a “where did you hear about us” prompt to login, which syslogs when entered.
- Fixed “help skill” to go to the skills help — the way helps work, it looks for an exact match then just the first abbreviation, so it was finding “skilled labor” instead of “skills”.
- Cleared up some info in several help files.
August 10, 2013
- Walking diagonally now takes roughly 41% more movement points. An increasing number of systems are computing actual distance using the Pythagorean equation and this change in line with that.
- Sunlight now only has a 50% chance of breaking the Darkness effect each hour.
- Brew and mix now check if you’re already doing something else.
- Made a fix to Darkness that should let you see through your own.
- Fixed the LIGHT_OK macro so that it relies more heavily on CAN_SEE_IN_DARK_ROOM.
- Added a config for mob stacking, and turned it off.
- Tweaked the formula for darkening the map at night. It now computes the actual distance, which should change the shape of the light spot. Also made some small optimizations to this code.
August 9, 2013
- Refactored the workforce_skillup() function to empire_skillup() to make it able to function with more abilities.
- Fixed a bug where Skill Labor did not trigger skillups. Reduced the Workforce skillup rate slightly.
August 8, 2013
- Removed the “purgevnum” admin command, as it was related to the old mob system and has no useful function in the current one. (I think I originally added it to remove the whales, dolphins, and sharks from the ocean in the EmpireMUD 0.0 beta version.)
- Actions that are canceled when you move now cancel right away, not “shortly after” the move.
- Removed the BS channel — please use slash-channels instead (/join bs).
- Added an action-spam toggle that blocks periodic action messages.
- Fixed a bug preventing sailing into docks.
- Suppressed coordinates on city founding message for players without Navigation.
- Moved action description strings into a new struct with names; you can now use %a to put your current action in your prompt.
August 7, 2013
- Tied mobs can no longer move, even if you’re leading them.
- Added custom build messages for more materials.
- Demote and Expel now work with offline members, like Promote.
- Updated save_char_file_u() to take a pointer instead of copying the data.
- Added helper functions for loading/saving characters who are offline in commands like set and promote.
- Promoting offline members no longer resets their last-played time.
- Using “set file” no longer resets last-played time.
August 6, 2013
- You can now promote empire members who are not currently logged in.
- Added peace pipes to pottery.
- Fixed a couple of small display issues related to recent changes.
- Reworked efind a little bit: it now stacks, and the “all” option ignored items you can’t pick up.
- You should now be able to siege/catapult monuments — but not city centers. “Open” monuments now have a damage table and range from 1 damage to 5 before they are destroyed. Closed monuments, like castles and forts, uniformly require 5 damage.
- Disarm now works on mobs who do weapon damage (rather than kick, claw, bite, or hit) and halves their base damage.
- Fixed commands list on parks.
- You can no longer teleport out of enemy buildings using Ritual of Teleportation or Hestian Trinket.
- Added storage for simple armors and the unlit lantern.
- Removed the “sneak” flag from prairie dog, meerkat, lizards, and turtles.
- Unowned buildings will no longer provide light.
- You will no longer get Speed of Undeath levelups between combat rounds.
- You can no longer backstab while something is attacking you.
- Summon humans now costs 1 blood.
August 5, 2013
- Fixed skill requirement on powerful staves, which was accidentally lowered when I was updating trade skills recently.
- Incapacitated victims will no longer start running at you when you use certain abilities on them.
- Took “scavenger” flag off of the buck.
- Fix to empire hostility detection which should keep your guard towers from shooting at your own catapult team.
- Diagonal river gates next to walls will now show the correct wall icon.
- If you have too many items in your inventory, you will now drop some.
- Unfinished river gates now still count as water. Estuary and raft gardens now also count as water.
- You can now sail through bridges and river gates, regardless of completion. You can also sail through estuary and raft gardens.
- You can no longer designate rooms before the building is complete.
- Fixed a bug with the building auto-herd where two animals leading a carriage or wagon would result in that item going way way too far in the direction of the building exit.
- If you lose the Radiance and Phoenix Rite abilities, their effects should now go away.
- Chant will no longer override your current action. It will now tell you you’re already busy. (The previous override may have wiped out crafting materials.)
- Fixed several combat messages which had the “victim” and “room” messages switched.
- Many many typo fixes, clarifications, and help file updates (based mainly on the “typos” list).
- Fixed the error message in the “enter” command so that giving no argument now only shows one error, not a second one.
- Fixed a bug in empire deletion that would sometimes cause a crash if two empires were deleted during the same uptime, if the second empire had a higher ID and had diplomatic relations with the first empire.
August 4, 2013
- Fixed a bug from the recent autostore change where items were storing instantly.
- Rewrote the character creation system a little bit to be less spaghetti code in the nanny() function. It now uses a struct to control the flow, a function for sending prompts, and then the nanny() function to interpret user input. It is now much easier to add or rearrange steps of character creation.
- Fixed bug where items on the floor couldn’t be used for crafts. All generic crafts should now allow it.
- Added custom player descriptions which are shown on “look at <player>”. These are set from the main menu.
- Removed the height, weight, skin, hair, and eyes traits.
- Converted the “mill” command over to use the generic crafting system. Wheat now grinds into 2 flour. Corn grinds into 2 cornmeal.
- Added several more foods.
- Added two more towers of souls.
- Gold flakes can now be stored in the vault, but will not contribute to wealth unless you combine them into something more substantial.
- Fixed a bug in efind where it was only allowing “all”.
August 3, 2013
- Updated the mob files to remove some unused data and put in a new system for specifying the results of abilities like skin and butcher.
- New butcher and skin system.
- Added poultry and pork.
- You can no longer eat corpses raw. You have to at least butcher them, and eat that raw.
- Moved previous months’ changelogs to their own posts so they’re all visible.
- Fixed an old old typo in “wear all”.
- Fixed a display bug in soups.
- Adjusted (lowered) the size on the drink containers so that they are more appropriate for the drinking fixes from yesterday: a bowl holds 1.5 days of water, a pot holds 3 days of water, a canteen holds 4 days of water, and a wineskin or vessel holds 7 days of water. Mud days are 30 minutes of game time. And remember that if you’re logged out for more than an hour, your character finds his or her own food and drink.
- Existing pots, canteens, wineskins, and vessels will hold much much more (up to 15 days of water), because it doesn’t update this particular data for existing items. If you store and retrieve them, you will lose this effect. Otherwise, enjoy your legendary wineskins.
August 2, 2013
- Sip now just tells you what a liquid tastes like, and does not restore any points.
- Fixed a bug in drinking where it would drink a huge amount, whether or not you needed it. Adjusted the fullness amounts on some of the liquids. A bowl now holds about day and a half of water.
- Fixed a bug in Reward.
- Canoe is now a basic craft.
- Typing “eat canteen” (or “taste”) will automatically forward to the drink command.
- Immortals can now fill containers with water from thin air (“fill canteen”).
- Drink containers now show their contents with the item name (“a clay bowl of bean soup”).
- You can now target a drink container using the keyword from its contents (e.g. “drink water”).
- Drink will no longer give thirst/full/drunk messages if the thing you drank did not affect them.
- Added support for crafting soups.
- Immortals can now use any library.
- Added a message to be displayed when an NPC scavenges a corpse.
- Modified the real_empire() function to use a binary search instead of an iterative search, which will speed it up when it is called a lot.
- Added a “junk” item flag which triggers the auto-cleanup algorithm to destroy it even on claimed land, even though it can’t be stored.
- Updated the auto-cleanup so that it now auto-stores/trashes items that are inside containers as if they were on the ground. This is in response to people using carts and chests to circumvent the workforce limits and auto-store code.
- Fixed a crash bug caused by trying to load an invalid object.
- Fixed an item keyword on sea junk.
- Immortals picking up objects no longer results in a thief flag or stealspam.
- Added an “autostore” command for imms to rapidly store room contents to the empire.
August 1, 2013
- Added additional cooking items and changed the cost on bread to 2 flour.
- Put spaces in the craft keywords for the staves, e.g. “craft staffofagony” is now “craft staff of agony”.
- Reworked forge and craft into one structure in the code which will eventually handle all craft abilities. All craft times have changed for these two abilities. They still have their own separate commands.
- Craft now requires you stay in-place while crafting, like all the other craft-type commands.
- Master Woodworking now affects the crafting time of virtually all crafts, just like Master Blacksmith.
- Reduced the tick messages on craft/forge by 50%.
- “craft arrows” now gives 5 instead of 1, and requires lumber instead of a stick.
- Added rice to the “help map” display.
- Sew is now also part of the generic crafting system now. It also now requires a sharp tool, and will take time like the other crafts.