EmpireMUD was originally written by Paul Clarke and is derived from CircleMUD 3.0 bpl 17, by Jeremy Elson. Paul began EmpireMUD in October 2000 as a hobby project while attending the University of Arizona in Tucson. This is the first time in over a decade that Paul has run an EmpireMUD himself, although he has encouraged others to use this code base and there have been many other EmpireMUDs over the years.
- Large, persistent, player-modifiable ASCII world map.
- 100% original world and zones.
- Lead your own empire (clan) to riches or ruin.
- Full support for screen readers, even on the map.
- Learn any skills and build your own class.
- Play as a vampire, mage, warrior, or combine them.
- Levels are based on your skills and equipment, not the other way around.
- Instanced adventure zones for quests big and small.
- 220+ abilities to choose from.
- Build cities and craft weapons and armor for your own empire, or sell them to others.
- Forge alliances with other players, or go to war.