EmpireMUD 2.0 alpha changelog
July 30, 2013
- Added rice and redistributed the crops (on unclaimed land only). You can store rice in the granary.
- Added pigs, oxen, and bulls.
July 29, 2013
- The “Night Sight” ability is now called “Nightsight” and is a toggle. You now only gain skill when it is turned on at night, and you can turn it on and off at will.
- Added “land” command to stop flying, no matter what the cause of your flight.
- Added the “efind” command, which finds items on the ground in your empire.
- Fixed a bug where trying to walk into the site of a castle told you the entrance was on the (null) side.
- Fixed a bug where city centers were falling into disrepair.
- Sitting mobs will no longer be able to heal mid-combat (this was happening when using the bash ability).
July 28, 2013
- Added colors to the new slash-channels.
- Added better error message to the new track command. Fun fact: track now works indoors, instead of just on the map.
July 27, 2013
- The “track” skill now uses actual tracks, rather than picking the direction to the target.
- Replaced the old virtual channel (VC) system with new slash-channels. You can dynamically join any number of channels using “/join <name>” and can talk on the channel with “/<name> <message>”. These are essentially private channels that any player can join by name. You must re-join channels each time you log in. (HELP SLASH CHANNELS)
- Added the bookedit command. This allows you to create books with your own custom content. See HELP BOOKEDIT.
July 26, 2013
- Library commands are done: library browse, library checkout, library shelve, library burn.
- Added first book and parts of book saving, reading, and the library interface.
- Clearabilities command now requires an explicit “all” to clear all abilities for a player, instead of just one skill. Updated its error messages and help files.
- Made a change to fread_string() so that it no longer terminates early if there is a tilde in the middle of the line, allowing tildes for custom room icons, custom names, and use in any player-written content.
- Updated smash_tilde() so that it removes any trailing tilde from user input in the text editor.
July 25, 2013
- Lowered the time on forge, but the time is no longer based on your Dexterity. Master Blacksmith and using a better hammer will both help, though.
- Fixed a bug where the immortal “users” command shows a number of users that includes ones you can’t see.
- Added the Library to the list of Grand Monuments. Book functionality coming soon.
July 24, 2013
- Fixed a bunch of little typoes and help file errors.
- Purging or otherwise extracting someone’s mount will no longer re-create the mount next time they log in.
- Removed some of the mobs from Summon Animals so that it can’t be used to farm skin. I will revamp or replace this ability completely at some point.
- You must now finish a stable to milk anything in it.
- Mobs will no longer wander into incomplete buildings or bridges.
- Unclaimable buildings no longer decay over time.
- Mobs will no longer spawn on unclaimable tiles.
- Mobs that are following someone should no longer wander, if they’re in the same room.
- Majesty now works against aggro mobs and also prevents random encounters.
- Removed the “man” and “woman” keyword from some city mobs who had it, but don’t have that word in their name or description, to help you target the generic man/woman mobs.
- Fixed the blood pools on citizens, which were all way too low.
- You can no longer have more than your maximum blood.
- Changed the move message that said “$n is led with him” to “He leads $n behind him.”
- Incapacitated characters are now much harder to miss in combat.
July 23, 2013
- Added loot tables to mobs using the ‘L’ key in the mob file. This loot drops on the mob’s corpse when it is killed. Added loot tables to a few mobs to test.
- If a mob or object doesn’t exist, the mud will now correctly load a “bug” to replace it, instead of crashing.
- Added the “pick” command to the commands list for several more room types.
- The “walks in from” message was inverted for up and down; fixed now.
- You can no longer trinket or teleport home while riding.
- Removed “dig” from the mine’s command list.
- Fixed sex on chicken and rooster mobs, which were backwards.
- Aggro mobs should no longer attack earthmelded people, and several other conditions that should block aggro.
- Fixed definition of “enclosed room” where you could end up circling into the closed-off portion of a castle.
- You can no longer gain combat skillups by continuing to attack a dying creature while autoexecute off.
- House owner will now be un-set as soon as dismantle begins.
- “Stake” will now engage combat if you use it when not in combat, even if it fails.
- Fixed “transfer” command which said “Okay.” even if it failed.
- Mountain-to-mountain movement now costs 75 instead of 100 move.
- You can no longer use the “diplomacy” command to create alliances with your own empire.
- Familiars, mobs which are tied up, and mobs which are mountable will no longer stack in the list of people in the room.
- Animals whose names start with “an” can no longer be targeted with the “an” keyword, as this was an mistake.
- Added herb gardening workforce. This will only work if you have the Skilled Labor upgrade to Workforce.
- Fixed the crafted stone hammer. It was crafting a blacksmith’s hammer instead.
- Updated the immortal command “stat room” with much more room data.
- Fixed combat rounds so that people who are earthmelded, staked, and certain other conditions will skip combat entirely.
- You can now execute a staked player.
- Split the commands lists for orchards and crops.
- Moved “open” monument data into a new struct. Open monuments now have their own move costs and command lists.
- Parks and cemeteries no longer give fame.
- Thirsty, hungry, and drunk now appear in the prompt (with %c) at the same time as the score and the notification message, instead of earlier.
- You can now keep drinking until you get really drunk. It no longer cuts you off early.
- Only animal NPCs may now be tied in place. Other types of NPCs now follow the player rules for tying: you have to knock them out.
- Animals may now be tied anywhere, not just in front of entrances.
- The empires command should now accept -m or -a if they are followed by a space or other trailing characters.
- You now require a trade pact to view, store or retrieve empire inventory from buildings owned by others.
July 22, 2013
- Added five new herb gardens under a new skill in Survival. These have much higher depletion limits than other places you could pick.
- Added Skilled Labor as a subskill of Workforce. Some workforce tasks will fall under this heading, such as herb gardening (which is not yet implemented, although it does now show up).
July 21, 2013
- Altered the decay rate on buildings slightly so that when we finally hit the first real wave of decay in about 3 weeks, most of the decayed buildings will crumble, but not all of them at once.
July 20, 2013
- Restructured the playerfile to make room for more abilities (200 -> 400), clean up some old data (from the old WoD system), and add more spare data for future expansion, and added data storage for better damage-over-time effects than the ones we’re currently using.
- Wrote a playerfile converter and successfully updated the playerfile.
- If you get bounced by the multiplaying detector after creating a new character, you should now still receive skills and equipment. Previously, this data wasn’t stored to the playerfile and would be lost.
- Thief and PVP timers now persist even if you quit and re-enter.
- Reward now allows each person to reward 5 times per day and just once per recipient, but that recipient can receive rewards from any number of qualified players. Previously, you could reward 5 times but no one person could receive more than 1 reward in a day. This should add some merit to stacking Reward in big empires.
- Added “gem” and “cloth” item material types (previously using rock and flesh for those).
July 16, 2013
- Updated the command types in the command interpreter. Some things were being blocked because they had the wrong type, e.g. while entangled.
- Approximately 80 commands that are linked directly to abilities no longer appear on the “commands” list and will result in “Huh?!?” if you try to use them without purchasing the ability.
- Re-enabled mist form for vampires. However, commands classified as “combat”, “skill”, and “build” cannot be performed in this form.
July 15, 2013
- Fixed a bug in the “enter” command where it sent no error message.
- Updated score (and the immortal “stat player” command) with additional information.
July 14, 2013
- You can now portal-by-number. Type “portal” to see a list of empire portals, and e.g. “portal 1” to portal to portal to that portal.
- Fixed a few issues that were generating innocuous system errors.
- Forge will now give back full resources if you cancel it.
- Added simple mage robe and padded armor.
- Added the Magical Vestments ability and changed Master Leatherworking to Master Tailor, which affects leather and cloth gear.
July 13, 2013
- Added depletion to panning.
- Now with more oranges.
- Added Basic Crafts skill, which requires 1 Trade and is required for bricks, rope (moved from sew), and several other simple crafts.
- Rearranged the Trade tree slightly.
- The “crystallized flower” gem should now appear 1/12 of the time anywhere you could find any herb (formerly only where fiveleaf grew) and does not require herb finding. If you don’t have Find Herbs, you’ll find plain flowers the rest of the time.
- Depletion done for: gather, pick, fish, quarry, forage (and dig)
July 12, 2013
- New: Resource depletion. More resources will deplete like mines, forests, and crops do. In fact, more crops will, too. I’ll be adding these a few at a time. Depletion is reset annually.
- Dig depletion done.
- Added depletion and disrepair to the immortal “stat room” command.
- Added a global message when the annual reset happens.
- You can no longer dig up clay on a mountain. This was really an error, as you’re supposed to be right next to the river.
- Dragon Hide and the various Armor skills can now give skillups even if they reduce the damage to zero.
- Fixed shoulder strap, which was crafting the wrong thing.
- Added rage and power enchantments for armor.
July 11, 2013
- Immortals are now able to view the skills of players who are offline.
- Changed the keywords on small/large skins so that the auto-repeat on the “tan” command will only tan more of the thing you started tanning, and will not longer get stuck on snakeskin or shark skin. You can now use the keywords “smallskin”, “largeskin”, “smallleather”, “largeleather” (sic) to target them directly with the retrieve command in a tannery.
- Changed the storage order in the tannery so that “retrieve large” gets you leather, not skin.
- Superior items can no longer be stored, and will not auto-store. Storage would lose their superior properties.
- Adjusted the rate of skill gain for all skills. Some of the low-level gain may take slightly longer, but in general you should gain skills faster.
July 10, 2013
- Fixed a rope typo in help sewing.
- Added a mastery bonus to the crown.
- Fixed some of the armors, which were forging wrong for 24 hours. See me for a replacement.
- Reversed the order of ore and ingots in empire storage so that “retrieve 5 iron” gets you ingots. “ironore” is the keyword if you want ore instead.
- Remade the clay shield and removed the larger shields from pottery. Existing clay shields will break.
- Fixed typoes on the crystallized flower in various parts of the code (only the object itself had it spelled correctly).
- Bileberries and whitegrass were incorrectly pickable without Find Herbs; this is fixed.
- Raised the discovery rates on Imperium and Nocturnium mines by 50%.
July 9, 2013
- Added Imperial Armors.
- Replaced all of the metal armors and shields. You will have to reforge your armor.
- Deadly Weapons now require imperium; I forgot this yesterday.
- Raised the rate on Chant of Nature by 4x.
July 8, 2013
- Replaced all the forged weapons and rearranged the forge abilities. Added Deadly Weapons and Master Blacksmith.
- Added mastery to forge.
- Fixed color of enchanted walls on mountain.
- Workforce: chopping, dismantling, and farming-without-replanting will now all respond to the new auto-abandon chore. If enabled, your workforce will automatically abandon a map tile when they finish those chores.
- You should be able to chip rocks using rocks again.
- Having all players idle will no longer trigger a reboot.
July 7, 2013
- Horses, dogs and cats are no longer skinnable.
- Fixed a wall color issue on mountains.
- Changed the sewing message.
- Updated the damage on the primitive weapons.
- Broke some of the old weapons. You’ll need to forge fresh ones if so.
- Renamed TYPE_STING to TYPE_JAB in the code, as virtually everything refers to it as “jab”. This is the spear/rapier type.
- The rock can no longer be used as a hammer, but you can craft a stone hammer using a rock and a handle.
- Created a proper armor item type so that more than just the <armor> slot can count as armor.
- Changed how superior items are displayed to be a (superior).
- Added Dangerous Leatherworking, which has higher level gear, and Master Leatherworking, which adds extra stats to objects and marks them superior.
- Large items now show as (L).
- Fixed a workforce smelting bug.
- Enchant armor only works on the <armor> wear slot.
July 6, 2013
- Disenchant fix where it should now keep the original affects if you disenchant armor that you enchanted yourself.
- Replaced all clothing items.
- Replaced all the newbie gear.
- Added sanity checking to the description editor after a crash.
- Changed auto-formatting to put just 1 space between sentences.
July 5, 2013
- Help file updates.
- Nailmaking workforce chore now triggers in castle/fort forges too.
- Added “nocturniumingot”, “imperiumingot”, and “ironingot” keywords to assist with retrieve.
- Workforce will no longer smelt bars back to basic types, which was causing gold and silver to “balance out” to 1000 nuggets, 1000 discs, 1000 bars rather than all-bars.
July 4, 2013
- Added “toggle informative”, which shows you which buildings are incomplete, dismantling, in disrepair, depleted, &c.
- Fixed a bug where hammers could be worn on arms, and nobody knows why.
- Changed the auto-herd when you start building, so it should perform a little better.
July 3, 2013
- Fixed a bug in “eat” where it would take the entire item, even if you only ate some of it.
- All crafts now use ingots, not ore. Some of the costs are temporary and the help files have not been updated.
- Barding now uses 10 ingots instead of 15 ore.
- Ritual of Defense uses the new imperium spike plus a bloodstone.
- Allies can found cities within 20 tiles of yours. The minimum distance for non-allies has been lowered to 30. The error message will tell you how far you need to be, if you’re too close.
- Fixed the road color on desert gatehouses.
- Adjusted movement costs for some tiles.
- Starting a building now automatically herds the animals out.
July 2, 2013
- einventory now takes an item name argument, if you only want to see one kind of resource.
- Fixed a bug in dig where clay wasn’t digging up properly.
- Added the Clay Pit building, which your workforce will enjoy until their backs are just completely broken.
- Completely overhauled skinning. Mobs now have a pre-defined skin type you will get from skinning them. Many mobs can no longer be skinned.
- Small and large skins can be tanned into leather. This goes faster at the tannery.
- Sewing and craft costs that used the old skin resource have been set to use some of the new skin items. These costs are temporary and will be finalized as part of the gear overhaul. As such, the help files are not really up-to-date. You can find what things cost by attempting to craft them.
July 1, 2013
- Added new resource objects.
- You can now craft clay bricks.
- Raw clay is now stored at the Potter.
- Added the saw command and action. Saw lumber at the lumber yard.
- Trinkets now store in the utility shed.
- Fixed bug where scrape always put the log in your inventory, even if it’s full.
- Added pouch of nails.
- Potter building now counts as cooking fire.
- Moved forge to trade.c.
- Forge can now return more than 1 item.
- Changed melt to smelt; it can now be done at a foundry as well as a forge. It also now converts iron ore into ingots.
- Added weaving to create cloth from cotton. You can do this anywhere, but it goes faster at the tailor.
- Added the quarry command to get huge stone blocks out of quarries.
- The order of remaining resources on a room should now stay consistent through reboots.
- Added several new workforce options for processing the new resources. You can read more about them in HELP WORKFORCE.
- Overhauled the building costs for virtually all buildings, using the new resources. In general, costs are lower than before, but you do a little more processing.
- Building resources now go left-to-right; you can’t put in the nails until after the lumber. Workforce also obeys this rule.
- Maintenance now requires lumber and nails instead of logs and iron. Added a help file for it, also.