Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update: Burrow Canyons
What updates does the Burrow Canyons adventure need? Here are my notes so far:

1. It's awfully low-level (1-100) for an adventure that needs a group. It would be better either raised up (75-125?) or lowered to a normal/hard level.
  2. It gives a flying mount but most players cannot use flying mounts in the 1-100 level range.
Khufu
EmpireMUD 2.0
Programmer, Owner, Lead Designer
(06-21-2015, 06:58 PM)Khufu Wrote: What updates does the Burrow Canyons adventure need? Here are my notes so far:

1. It's awfully low-level (1-100) for an adventure that needs a group. It would be better either raised up (75-125?) or lowered to a normal/hard level.
  2. It gives a flying mount but most players cannot use flying mounts in the 1-100 level range.

3. There's not a lot of gear as loot. And maybe that's okay, but it kind of feels like the only reason to run it is for poisons and large skins/snakeskins, which brings me to...
4. Gods almighty, the spawn limits. I'm level 300 and I've found myself almost dying just to crazy barrages of script attacks from 11 skinks.

I actually like that the flying mount (point 2) is there. It gives people something to work towards. Maybe it's a little silly at level 1 but I've never seen anyone run burrow canyons below level 70 or so (probably because of point 1)

Edit: 5. This adventure is disproportionately rare and difficult to access for how low level it's supposed to be - there's only 10 of them, and they always spawn in mines, which are almost always claimed. As a result, nobody can really get into them at level 1.
...also, a lot of them seem to spawn in the depleted mines of inactive empires.

Edit #2: 6. Correcting a misfiling, another spawn issue: loch colossus has about a 25% chance to not spawn at all (50% spawn in 2 rooms, limit 1) and scarlet-hooded raptor has about a 6.25(?)% chance to do the same (50% spawn in each of 4 rooms, limit 1), which can make this adventure kinda anticlimactic.
7. The pegasus has a 2% spawn rate, which seems too low to me, considering the rarity of the adventure and how difficult it is to actually tame it?
The following is a dramatization of real events:
Quote:You raise your staff high as a bug crumples to the ground in agony and dies!
You have killed a bug! R.I.P.
You get the corpse of a bug.
You give the corpse of a bug to Khufu.
(06-22-2015, 04:20 AM)Hitsume Wrote: 7. The pegasus has a 2% spawn rate, which seems too low to me, considering the rarity of the adventure and how difficult it is to actually tame it?

That's per reset before the zone despawns.
Khufu
EmpireMUD 2.0
Programmer, Owner, Lead Designer
(06-23-2015, 01:33 AM)Khufu Wrote: That's per reset before the zone despawns.

Oh. Of course. Which also applies to the bosses not always spawning. Considering the zone resets about 17 times before despawning, I guess it's not that ridiculous.

Cross that off the list, then, but the entire zone kind of feels defined by its fast reset timer, long time limit, and big concentrations of trash mobs.

Edit: Found a new problem. All the 'flavor mobs' (rabbits, mountain goats, etc...) that are supposed to spawn in this adventure have the SPAWNED tag, so they appear and immediately vanish because there's nobody there. It doesn't break the adventure, but it makes it less interesting than it should be.
Quote:You raise your staff high as a bug crumples to the ground in agony and dies!
As of the update, this adventure is now 75-100, drops slightly more gear, doesn't have insane spawn limits, and no longer requires a boat (since boats don't work well in adventures any more). Also, the random animals will no longer despawn and the bosses will no longer fail to show up.

It's still kinda tough to get into, and the mount is unusually hard to get. But my biggest grievances with it no longer apply.