Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forest Updates
I had an idea for a simple update to forests, and I'd like some feedback. Part of the goal here is to resolve the issue where you're told you can only build on a "forest" tile, but it more specifically means a 4-tree temperate or evergreen forest, and not any of the tiles with 1-3 trees.

Part 1: Shady Forests (3 trees)
  • Give these the "forest" build flag, to allow forest buildings on them.
  • Trees would not spread onto the plains around buildings that were built on a 3-tree forest (unlike what happens with 4-tree forests). Is that good or bad?
Part 2: Light/Thin Forests (1-tree and 2-tree)
  • Split these into two different types: edge of the forest, or lone tree/cluster of trees, depending on whether they are in the middle of other forest tiles, or out on their own.
  • We could use an intermediary tile when a tree is chopped from a 3-tree tile. The intermediary tile would be something like a "logged forest" (name suggestions welcome). It would then rapidly evolve into either the cluster of trees, or the edge of the forest, depending on its surroundings.
  • Lone/cluster tree tiles would also have evolution rules to change to edge-of-forest tiles, and vice versa, if their surroundings change.
Additional ideas:
  • We could introduce new tree diversity. For example, the Lone Tree tile could be a mighty oak that gives more than 2 lumber when sawed.
I'm interested in any thoughts you guys have on this.
Khufu
EmpireMUD 2.0
Programmer, Owner, Lead Designer
I actually prefer it as it is. Unless the changes you are thinking are mostly cosmetic and the actual functionality remains the same with regards to Tree growth/spread. Would love more tree diversity and of course extending tree buildings to non-overgrowth forests would be good. What I mean is that the current growth/spread system makes sense and doesn't really need to get more complex beyond maybe representation. As in having visually and textually distinct forest tiles to denote transition between a full forest and the forest edge or just a random bunch of trees etc.

Though that begs a question, as it stands now do tree buildings classify as overgrown forests for the sake of spreading? So if you chopped an entire forest down and walled it off but had a tree building you could still end up with tree growth within the walls?
(05-31-2017, 01:13 PM)TGS Wrote: Though that begs a question, as it stands now do tree buildings classify as overgrown forests for the sake of spreading? So if you chopped an entire forest down and walled it off but had a tree building you could still end up with tree growth within the walls?

Yes, tiles still count as their base type with buildings on top of them, so forest could spread from a treehouse.

Anyway, there wasn't much support for changes to trees, so I clarified the "you can't build here" text a bit but otherwise left this alone.
Khufu
EmpireMUD 2.0
Programmer, Owner, Lead Designer